Hey folks, in today’s special episode we are interviewing Dan Martell, an award-winning Canadian entrepreneur. Dan is the founder of Clarity.fm, a startup that makes it easy to connect with top business minds over the phone. He previously co-founded Flowtown and is also an investor to companies like Udemy, Intercom and Unbounce. Dan loves cold email and we invited him to share how he used it to build successful businesses. Get your notepad ready and tune in!
HERE’S WHAT WE COVER IN THIS EPISODE:
- What was the first cold email Dan ever sent at the age of 18, and how one of the recipients became his investor 20 years later
- Dan’s approach to writing cold emails for networking, and how to connect with someone without an introduction
- Why cold email variations need to be drastically different for the most effective A/B testing early on in your campaign
- How Dan grew Clarity FM (which raised 1.6M from investors like Marc Cuban) with a simple cold email and data from slideshare.net
- Dan’s 3-step strategy for optimizing cold email process, and why you shouldn’t automate too quickly
- How the outbound strategy and approach to cold outreach changes from early days to the established phase of a company
- The best cold emails Dan has received, the importance of intro sentence to show that the senders have done their homework, and why you should never put work on the recipient
- Dan’s 4 part cold email framework he uses to get replies from fortune 500 CEO’s and dream clients
- Why you should never cold email an investor and who you should be contacting instead, to get your business funded
If you want to learn more from Dan, sign up for his newsletter and follow his stories on Instagram. And as always, feel free to share this episode with someone who is also sending cold email and will benefit from this cast.
Happy cold emailing,
Jeremy and Jack
P.S. Hey cold emailer, if you got some value from this episode, please leave us a 2 sentence review on iTunes, Stitcher or Tune-in. It’s a quick way to help other growth-minded folks like us find this podcast, send awesome emails and make everyone’s inbox a better place.