Hey cold emailers, today we’re discussing GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) with Jonathan Armstrong, who is a legal expert in the field of cold email and a Partner at Cordery, a firm specialized in legal compliance. GDPR is going to be enforced on May 25 2018, so we invited Jonathan, as one of Europe’s top compliance lawyers, to break it down for us and help us understand what it means for sending cold email.
This is a 45 minute discussion, and since it’s about GDPR, anything less would have missed something important. Get your notepads ready and take a listen!
HERE’S WHAT WE COVER IN THIS EPISODE:
- What is GDPR and how should it apply across EU countries starting from May 25 2018?
- In what way can you send cold email to EU prospects by complying with GDPR?
- What kind of cold outreach will be illegal under GDPR in order to protect EU citizens’ privacy?
- How to get explicit consent to send marketing emails and what kind of content will you be able to send out?
- What new list building and marketing practices will be introduced under GDPR?
- Will you be able to buy email lists and still comply with the new law?
- What are the positive sides of GDPR and how it will bring innovative approaches to building quality relationships with your prospects?
- How are fines for breaching GDPR calculated, and how to avoid the 20MM fine for sending a single cold email?
- Can you still contact companies outside of EU, and why you’ll want to explore inbound strategies for EU market?
- What are the main objections to GDPR and why it may already be outdated in some parts?
So in this episode we discussed how to prepare for GDPR. Remember that this law was created to protect people against giant spammers, not small startups, and that it’s not necessarily over for cold email. If you want to get more clarity around this hot topic, check out the video below with top 12 GDPR myths de-bunked – you’ll love it!
Happy cold emailing,
Jeremy and Jack
P.S. Hey cold emailer, if you got some value from this episode, please leave us a 2 sentence review on iTunes, Stitcher or Tune-in. It’s a quick way to help other growth-minded folks like us find this podcast, send awesome emails and make everyone’s inbox a better place.